- Codes Department
New building construction, addition, alteration/remodeling and tenant space finish work; trade installation or replacement work (such as for furnaces, central A.C. units, water heaters or electrical services panels or circuits.); and building/structural demolition work completed under a valid, issued building permit are required to be inspected and approved by City inspectors at various stages of work. All completed work must be visible to the City inspector at the time of inspection.
The types and numbers of required City inspections depends on the type of project and the extent of construction work being performed; however all building permits types require a final inspection to be completed and approved by the City before the permit can be closed or an official Certificate of Occupancy (when required by the City) can be issued. For ever new building construction, addition, alteration/remodeling or finish building permit, hard copies of a Building Permit Card and inspections required) are provided to the permit applicant when the permit is issued.
Information regarding the types of inspections that may be required can be found below.
Items Requiring Inspections:
- Foundations/ footings and piers - The basis by which a structure is supported and anchored to the ground. Inspection of trenches or forms and rebar needs to be done to ensure a solid foundation for the rest of the structure.
- Concrete - Inspection of forms and rebar are needed as well as any electrical conduit or plumbing that will be covered by the concrete before any concrete is poured or it may result in the concrete having to be removed or possible fines. This includes patios/sidewalks/driveways.
- Framing - All wood and metal framing for structural support must be inspected before any covering takes place, exception would be corner sheeting on outside corners for support during the framing process, but interior should remain open to allow inspection.
- Insulation - Insulation will be inspected for proper placement and R rating, minimum rating of R-13 in occupied structures.
- Drywall - Drywall will be inspected before any join or screws are mudded over. Every stud should have a minimum of 5 screws in a 4’ span.
- Rough - All plumbing in floors, walls, or ceilings needs to be inspected and pass before covering.
- Final - All plumbing completed with finishing fixtures (faucets, toilets, drain covers, etc.
- Rough - Electrical wiring in floors, or walls, or ceilings need to be inspected and passed before covering.
- Final - All electrical work completed and finish fixtures are installed (lights, switches, outlets, etc.)
- Fuel Gas Piping - If this is needed to connect a utility service, a permit is not required by an inspection will need to be scheduled and a pressure test passed to get service connected.
- Re-Roof - A rough and final inspection will need to be scheduled. A sheeting inspection will be needed if any material is replaced.
- Earthworks - Any site prep, trenching, basements, tornado shelters, or in-ground pools need to be inspected.
- Building Final - This is scheduled when all other required code inspections are completed and all inspections for the Fort Scott Fire Department or State Fire Marshall are satisfied.